Join us for a free, virtual online event, April 16-18, 2021!
Missed the festival? View presentations on our YouTube channel by clicking here. Be sure to subscribe!
Find out about the speakers in this year’s festival by clicking here.
FRIDAY, APRIL 16
· The History of Godwit Days with wildlife artist Gary Bloomfield and Godwit Days chair Alex Stillman (10-11 a.m. PST)
· Curiosities & Oddities in the Humboldt State Wildlife Museum: A Tour, with curator Tamar Danufsky (2-3 p.m. PST)
· Humboldt Birding: Past, Present & Future, A Birds & Beers Social Zoom, with Frank Fogarty, Rob Fowler, Greg Gray, Tony Kurz, Gary & Lauren Lester, Tom Leskiw, Sean McAllister, Jude Power, and Keith Slauson (5-6:30 p.m.; includes presentation of 2020’s Humboldt County Bird of the Year award @ 5:10 p.m. PST)
· Surveying Shorebirds of Humboldt Bay: Plenary Lecture by Humboldt State wildlife professor and shorebird researcher Dr. Mark Colwell (7-7:30 p.m. PST)
SATURDAY, APRIL 17
· “The Big Hour” at the Arcata Marsh, with Rob Fowler of Fowlerope Birding Tours & wildlife artist Gary Bloomfield (8-9 a.m. PST; also accessible via Facebook Live through the Godwit Days page – https://www.facebook.com/GodwitDays)
· Bird Songs & Calls: An Identification Workshop, with birder/biologist David Juliano (10-11:30 a.m. PST)
· Snowy Plovers, with Daisy Ambriz-Peres, Friends of the Dunes (1:30-2:30 p.m. PST)
· Shorebird Fly-off at the Arcata Marsh, with Dr. Mark Colwell & Rob Fowler (4-5 p.m. PST; also accessible via Facebook Live through the Godwit Days page – https://www.facebook.com/GodwitDays)
· The Language of Birds: Keynote Lecture by Nathan Pieplow, author of the Peterson Field Guides to Bird Sounds of Eastern and Western North America (7-8 p.m. PST)
SUNDAY, APRIL 18
· Seeking Amphibians in Del Norte County, with California State Parks biologist Tony Kurz (9-10 a.m. PST)
· Spotted Owl Search with Green Diamond biologist Ashley Morris, Rob Fowler & Gary Bloomfield (11 a.m.-noon PST)
· Tips & Techniques for Sketching Birds, with Gary Bloomfield (1-2 p.m. PST)
· A Tribute to Dr. Stanley Harris: Memories of HSU Ornithology Prof “Doc” Harris (6-8 p.m. PST) [If you have any pix to contribute to a PowerPoint presentation or would like to speak and share your memories of Doc during the session, contact Rob Fowler [email protected]]
All sessions will be recorded and uploaded to Zoom (and possibly YouTube) post-festival. Please consider making a tax-deductible donation at www.godwitdays.org, to help underwrite this free virtual event and to create a “nest egg” for a 2022 in-person Silver Anniversary festival!
Also to be posted on line during the festival: announcement of the winner of Humboldt County’s Bird of the Year for 2020, as well as winners in the 18th annual student bird art contest, cosponsored by Friends of the Arcata Marsh and Redwood Region Audubon Society (RRAS), and in the 16th annual student nature writing contest, sponsored by RRAS.
THERE WILL BE NO REGISTRATION REQUIRED FOR THE FREE VIRTUAL FESTIVAL.
- CLICK ON LINKS below to find out more about an event or TO BOOK A TICKET. If you don’t already have an account, you will create your User Account the first time that you Check-Out, after selecting all of your events. Use the shopping cart icon to view your selection(s) and check-out. You will receive a confirmation letter via email upon completion. (For in person festival and events only).
Questions? Contact [email protected] or (707) 826-7050 (message line).
For CANCELLATION policy CLICK HERE.
Dress in layers, bring binoculars, and a reusable water bottle.