MO94 Lava Beds NE California 2 Day Trip – GOLD | 2018 | $250
Time - 7:00 am - 6:00 pm
Trip Leader(s): Chet Ogan, Gary Bloomfield
The variety of birds seen on this trip is impressive, from Sandhill Crane and American White pelican – two of the largest US species – to the smallest US bird, the Calliope Hummingbird. Based on the traditional Ornithology II field trip with Dr. Harris, who referred to it as the “Bird-Blitz,” this trip heads for the
- Klamath Basin along Hwy 299, first to Redding then up to Weed past Mt. Shasta.
- Hwy 97 will take us to Grass Lake and the Butte Valley.
- The evening will be spent at the Tule Lake NWR where we will stay at Winema Lodge (included in trip price).
- The first day starts with birding at the Straw House along Hwy 299, with stops for restrooms and coffee.
- Kutras Lake and Turtle Bay will be the picnic lunch stop in Redding (12-1 pm, lunch not provided).
- At the top of the Central Valley the riparian habitat is excellent and Nuttall’s Woodpecker and Yellow-billed Magpie should be seen. Weed and Grass Lake (2-3 pm), here we will hopefully observe our first Sandhill Cranes and Yellow-headed Blackbirds, Butte Valley (4pm) for raptors, Klamath NWR (5-6 pm) for ducks, and an evening meal will be waiting for us at the lodge (6-7pm, included in trip price).
The variety of habitats and species expected to be seen will include the following additional species not typical of our coastal area: Oak Titmouse, Hooded Oriole, Swainson’s Hawk, Bald Eagle, Black-billed Magpie, Rock Wren, Mountain Bluebird, and White-faced Ibis.
- On the second day, we will bird the auto-tour routes before breakfast back at the lodge (included in trip price). We have seen Wilson’s Phalarope, Franklin’s Gull and Tricolored Blackbird in the past.
- Then we head out via Tule lake, the petrocliffs (11am), Mammoth Crater, and the Lava Beds south on Hwy 139 towards Ash Creek.
- Lunch this day is provided by Winema Lodge and is included in the trip price. Rock and Canyon Wrens, Townsend’s Solitaire, and Pygmy Nuthatch will be new passerines, while Great Horned Owl and Prairie Falcon will hopefully be tending their cliff-top nests.
- We will head back to Arcata by way of Hwy 299 and stop along the way as needed.
This trip is by carpool. *Accommodations at Winema Lodge, Monday evening meal, Tuesday breakfast and packed lunch are all included in the trip price.
Bookings are closed for this event.